Alberta Global Technology Fund
Call for Proposals (CFP) for Collaborative R&D Projects between
Alberta Companies and Partners from Brazil, China, India or Israel
CFP Information Sessions:
November 12, 2013 at 9AM MST
November 28, 2013 at 9AM MST
Deadline for Expressions of Interest: December 16, 2013
Please send to email@example.com, copying all partners named on the EOI
Download the Call for Proposals Information
Download the EoI Template
Download the Application Guidelines
Download the AGTF Information Session Web Presentation
(Chinese partners from Zhejiang Province, China, please follow this LINK)
International Science and Technology Partnerships Canada (ISTPCanada) is mandated by the Government of Alberta through the Alberta Enterprise and Advance Education (AEAE) to support Alberta companies, under the Alberta Global Technology Fund (AGTF), to conduct bilateral research and development activities with partners from designated countries that would lead to near term commercialization. We are pleased to announce a Call for Proposals (CFP) for such collaborative R&D projects between Alberta companies and their industrial partners from Brazil, China, India and Israel (to be managed by ISTPCanada sister organization, Canada-Israel Industrial R&D Foundation (CIIRDF)).
The Calls invite research teams that bring together Alberta companies and their business/research partners in the four partner countries mentioned above to propose bilateral R&D projects for the joint development of innovative products or processes with near term commercialization prospects.
This funding opportunity aims to:
- Stimulate innovative R&D projects in the fields as listed in the Relevant Research Areas (see below) that demonstrate high commercial potential that could not be done as effectively and efficiently in the absence of this Alberta-foreign partner collaboration.
- Encourage Alberta competitiveness through the transfer of technology and knowledge resulting from international S&T partnerships;
- Foster Alberta-international S&T partnerships and collaborative research from industry, academia and government with an emphasis on outcomes for near-term commercialization;
- Strengthen overall Alberta bilateral S&T relations.
RELEVANT RESEARCH AREAS
This call is open to all areas of technology that include science and technology (S&T) development leading to commercial success and benefit to both Alberta and the foreign partner country. There is however an initial specific emphasis on following technology areas:
- Agri-Foods and related Bio-products
- Clean technology
- Health & Life Sciences/Biotechnology (including medical devices)
- Information and Communication Technologies (including geomatics) and
FUNDING FOR ALBERTA COMPANIES
The targeted funding to be awarded to each successful Alberta research team, composed of at least one for-profit industrial organization, is from $200,000 up to $400,000 over 12 to 24 months. The Alberta industrial team is required to put forth matching expenditures directed towards the proposed R&D project, at a ratio of at least 1:1 with the amount requested from ISTPCanada sourced from the AGTF.
For example, within a project with a total Alberta budget of $800,000, the portion paid by the industrial partner(s) resources should be a minimum of $400,000, to be matched with $400,000 from this funding opportunity.
FUNDING FOR FOREIGN PARTNERS
Foreign partners are required to secure funding for their respective component of the project. They are strongly encouraged to explore funding opportunities for bilateral R&D initiatives from their respective national or local governments. In the cases where ISTPCanada and CIIRDF see as appropriate, we will forward the proposals to our funding partners in these four countries to seek their potential support to the foreign partner research team.
For Chinese applicants from the Province of Zhejiang, they may submit the joint proposal directly to the Department of Sciences and Technology of the Zhejiang Provincial People’s Government. For details, please click here.
PARTNER SEARCH REQUEST
Alberta companies who do not have an existing foreign research and business partner are welcome to fill out the Partner Search Form and email it back to us. We will work with our foreign partners and try our best to identify potential research partners for you.
CFP INFORMATION SESSIONS
All Alberta applicants and their partners are strongly encouraged to participate in one of the CFP information sessions to be hosted via webcast by ISTPCanada.
- November 12, 2013 at 9AM MST
- November 28, 2013 at 9AM MST
To register, please provide your name, title, organization, email address and phone number, along with the date and time of the session you would like to attend, via email to Ms. Megan Oates, firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information about this Call for Proposals, please contact:
- Brazilian and Indian opportunities: Bharat Rudra, Country Manager, at email@example.com or (613) 729-3069 ext 224
- Chinese opportunities: Stacy Chew, Country Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (613) 729-3069 ext. 223
- Israeli opportunities: Tomoko Nishino, Program Manager, at email@example.com or (613) 729-3069 ext. 227