Bilateral R&D Funding Opportunity for Canadian and Chinese Companies and Academic Researchers
ISTPCanada Announces Two Calls for Proposals for Canada-China R&D Projects
Deadline for Expressions of Interest: March 22, 2013
CFP Information Sessions:
February 20, 2013 at 9AM EST and March 5, 2013 at 1PM EST (Human Vaccines)
February 21, 2013 at 9AM EST and March 6, 2013 at 1PM EST (Clean Automotive)
International Science and Technology Partnerships Canada (ISTPCanada), mandated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT), the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), and the Automotive Partnership Canada (APC), an initiative of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), are pleased to announce Calls for Proposals (CFP) for collaborative R&D projects between Canada and China (to be hosted by the Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China (MOST)).
The Calls invite research teams that bring together companies and academic researchers from Canada and China to propose bilateral R&D projects for the joint development of innovative products or processes.
This funding opportunity aims to:
- Stimulate innovative R&D projects in the fields of vaccine research against infectious diseases in humans and clean automotive transportation that demonstrate high commercial potential and could not developed as effectively and efficiently in the absence of this Canada-China collaboration;
- Encourage domestic competitiveness through the transfer of technology and knowledge resulting from international S&T partnerships;
- Foster international S&T partnerships and collaborative research from industry, academia and government with an emphasis on outcomes for near-term commercialization; and
- Strengthen overall bilateral S&T relations.
AREAS OF RESEARCH FOCUS
The scope of this initiative encompasses basic and clinical health research which may also include health services research and population health research in the field of vaccines against infectious diseases. Although not exclusive, applications in the following area are strongly encouraged:
- Approaches and optimized techniques used for polysaccharide protein conjugate vaccines
- Studies of novel vaccine adjuvants and delivery systems
- Mucosal immunology and mechanistic studies for vaccine development
- Influenza and existing and emerging viruses
- Bioprocessing and production
Clean Automotive Transportation
Building on Canadian and Chinese core competencies and areas of natural synergy, this call for R&D collaboration is focused on the following complimentary areas, namely:
- Application of alternative fuels – the application of next generation fuels such as biofuels, natural gas, or other combustible liquids or gases.
- Lighter weight and/or sustainable materials – the design and assembly of prototype vehicles, engines and components, composed of new and advanced materials solutions to improve fuel efficiency.
- Advanced Powertrain – areas related to the development of electric, and hybrid-electric powertrains, as well as improving internal combustion engine powertrain efficiency.
FUNDING FROM CANADA
The targeted funding amount to be awarded to each Canadian research team, composed of at least one academic researcher, and one industrial organization, is $1,000,000 over three years or less ($500,000 from ISTPCanada and $500,000 from NSERC-APC or CIHR). Up to three projects are to be supported within each research initiative.
The Canadian industrial partner on each research team is required to put forth matching expenditures directed towards the proposed R&D project, at a ratio of at least 1:1 with the amount requested from ISTPCanada.
For example, within a project with a total Canadian budget of $1.5 million, the:
- Academic research budget should be $500,000, to be supported by NSERC-APC or CIHR
- Industrial budget should be a minimum of $1M, to be supported by $500,000 from ISTPCanada.
Click here for full details on the: Call for Proposal for Human Vaccines.
Click here for full details on the: Call for Proposal for Clean Automotive Transportation
CFP INFORMATION SESSIONS
All Canadian applicants and their Chinese partners are strongly encouraged to participate in one of the CFP information sessions to be hosted via webcast by ISTPCanada.
CFP Information Sessions on Human Vaccines: February 20, 2013 at 9:00AM EST and March 5 2013 at 1:00PM EST
CFP Information Sessions for Clean Automotive Transportation: February 21, 2013 at 9:00AM EST and March 6, 2013 at 1:00PM EST
To register, please provide your name, title, organization, email address and phone number, along with the date and time of the session you would like to attend, via email to: email@example.com.